Friday, June 14, 2013

Natural Hair- Your Questions. Answered!

                                                                          Picture crediit to @bluviolette on Instagram 

Over the past few years more and more women have been ditching the relaxer and returning to their natural roots. With that notion, naturally(no pun intended) comes a lot of questions. Well luckily for you  JC has went through 2 years of trial, error and lots of research. So I'm here to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge :). 

Q: What does it mean to co wash? 
A: Co washing means to wash your hair with "conditioner only" traditional shampoos with sulfates strip the natural oil from your scalp causing your hair to be dry and brittle and eventually break off. If you prefer to have a lather when washing your hair try a sulfate free shampoo Shea Moisture makes great sulfate free shampoos. 

Q: Is there any way to remove the relaxer from my hair besides cutting it out? 
A: Unfortunately there isn't any way to remove the relaxer except those dreaded scissors. The least painful way to do it is to cut it gradually, grow an inch, cut an inch. For me just cutting it all off was the easiest way to do it. It's all a matter of preference.

Q: How do I get my hair to curl? 
A: There are two answers to this question. The first answer is simple. You do not have a curl pattern, for some reason everyone thinks they will have have the same curl pattern or they will have curls. This is not the case. Our hair is all uniquely and beautifully made different, some of us have kinky, some have curly, some have coily, some have wavy, some have straight. I have a combination of kinky, coily, curly, straight and wavy. Most naturals have multiple textures. Here's picture of the different textures so that you can see which texture category you fit in. 






Now the 2nd answer to this question is that, unfortunately you have heat damage. No matter how much heat protectant you use if you start your journey out with heat damage and never cut that damage out and still use heat on a regular basis your hair is not going to go back to its natural curl pattern. The only solution is to big chop or transition just as if you are transitioning out of a relaxer. And on the flip side if you start out wit your natural texture and want to use heat on a regular basis be prepared to sacrifice altering the natural texture and suffering heat damage.

Q: How did you get your hair to grow so fast?
A: I would have to say the key to growing my hair at a healthy rate is keeping it moisturized . That's it. Our hair is very dry and it needs moisture to thrive. Every day or every other day I'm putting some sort of moisture into my hair. I'm sure your next question will be "What moisturizurizer you use girllll?". Well someone asked a very good question on Instagram, so stay tuned.

Q: My hair is very dry. It won't grow because it's so dry! I wear weaves because I can't deal with how dry it is! 
A: I understand your frustration this goes back to the previous question. Your hair is like a plant. It needs to be nurtured, watered and taken care of in order to thrive and grow. You can't just put it away in the dark and think outta sight outta mind. Protective styling is GREAT! Braids, Sew ins, Updos all that is really good for your hair. But the key is to make sure you're taking care your hair under the weave. Your scalp has no time to breath if it's in cornrows all the time you have to pay special attention to moisturize & seal and you still have to wash your hair! Do all of this and your hair will grow.

Q: I need help with my twist outs.
A: There are three steps to the perfect twist out. Rule #1 Don't borrow hair. When you section off to twist keep the two pieces of hair completely separate until the twist is complete if the twist is uneven twirl the end until there is a single uniform curl. Rule #2 Detangle your hair prior to starting the styling process, you want your twists to come out nice and smooth after you detangle  apply your styler of choice. Rule #3 When you take your twists down apply oil to your hands this will reduce frizz. Take your time taking the twists down. Rotate the twist in the opposite direction that you twisted, it will naturally separate, continue to separate and fluff until you get the desired fullness!

Q: What are your absolute must have products for your hair?
A: Ahhhh thee old Holy Grails! Chileee if y'all didn't know I am a certified product and while I'm very ashamed to show my stash, I will however share what I simply CANNOT live without. 

Moisturizers:
Water- Yes this falls under moisturizer for me it's the ultimate moisturizer. 
Lily Of The Desert Aloe Vera Juice- I use the preservative free one. I put it in a spray bottle and keep it in the fridge, I use this to re-moisturize my hair
Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave In Conditioner- I use this to refresh my hair at night after re-twisting. Very very moisturizing
Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner- If I want something creamy to retwist my hair with or if I'm pulling my hair up in a puff I use this to wake it back up. It's amazing!

Co-Washes:
Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture- This one doesn't have any silicones and has amazing slip it makes detangling a breeze. Sometimes I rinse the majority of this one out and leave a little in because it's so moisturizing. I don't do I all the time though, the smell is a tad bit annoying for me.
Suave Shea Butter & Almond- It's not silicone free but is very moisturizing and has lots of slip as well. I don't leave this one in.
Trader Joes Nourish Spa- Silicone free, great slip

Cleansing Conditioner:
Curl Junkie Daily Fix- this conditioner actually cleanses and gets rid of build up such as silicones without stripping your hair.

Shampoos: 
Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo- It's sulfate free, it does what it says. That's why I like it. It doesn't strip my hair and it cleanses it well.
Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo- What can I say? It does what it says and its cheap it's HG for me!

Deep Conditioners:
Aubrey Organics GPB- This has a great balance of protein and moisture and I like to use this to deep condition at least twice a month. It doesn't make my hair hard like mos protein conditioners and whenever I feel like my hair is shedding a lot or breaking this remedies it right away!
Shea Moisture Purification Masque- I keep back ups of back ups of this I gets nervous, chills, I turn into Dr. Jekyll and get Tourette's when I'm running low.....yes it's that serious and it's that good lol the slip on this product ain't no joke I can detangle in seconds with this deep conditioner and it has clay in it(hence purification) so it gets rid of build up. It makes my hair über soft and moisturized and I like to leave it in overnight and rinse it out and proceed with my regimen in the morning.
B.A.S.K YAM NECTAR- Simply amazing. Very odd consistency, looks just like honey but once it's applied to soaking wet hair it emulsifies down to a cream. It's sooo moisturizing I use it with heat.
Curl Junkie Curl Rehab- This one is multi purpose I can use it as a deep conditioner and a leave in. See HG...lol

Leave In Conditioners: 
Kinky Curl Knot Today- I've been using this from day one since I first big chopped, it's never faile me! It has lots of slip, very light but moisturizing at the same time. It's simple no frills. It's just good. My only complaint is I wish it was cheaper and came in a larger size at Target. 
B.A.S.K Palm Tapioca Deluxe Hair Cream- This is a thick moisturizer but because water is the first ingredient I can use this as a leave in and I also use it as a twisting cream.

Oils: 
Trader Joes Organic Coconut Oil- Believe it or not the brand actually matters, this is my favorite.
Trader Joes Organic Jojoba Oil- Same here.
Castor Oil- Can't think of the brand because I'm all out but I get it from Whole Foods :)

Stylers: All of the listed products below I use for twists, twist outs, puffs, Bantu knot outs, wash n goes, updo's etc
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Tea Gel
Qhemet Biologics Aethopika Hydrate & Twist Butter
Urbanbella Hydrating Moisturizing Cream
Ecostyler Gel(Blue)(Hold of 5)

Pomades/Edge Controls:
Hicks Edges- This holds my edges very well it's a favorite of mine but I'm looking for something cheaper that works just as well though. So it's temporarily on the HG list.
Curls Passion Fruit- This is pretty good but it doesn't work that well on freshly washed hair. So it's not an absolute fave but it deserves honorable mention.
Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade- I love Castor oil and that's the 1st ingredient in this product, it smells really good and I like to use this for my edges or to add some extra shine to my hair.
B.A.S.K Java Bean & Honey Hair Balm- This one has really good ingredients and adds amazing shine I use it to seal in moisture after applying my leave in :)
-JC








No comments:

Post a Comment